Filed In: DIY
I love costumes and I especially love making them! Here are a few of my favorites, all handmade my me. My Danica Patrick costume was quite popular as many people tell me we look similar. It even won a few awards!
Happy Halloween! What are you dressing up as?
I fell in love with this hat by Eugenia Kim, but after seeing the price tag I knew it was out of the question. But I did figure out how to make my own. Follow the steps below to learn how to recreate my version of this beautiful sun hat.
Materials: Large Brim Straw Hat, Black Ribbon, Black Sequin Strand, Glue, Toothpick for Glue Application, Scissors, Pencil to practice, Needle and Thread for final security
- Using a pencil write the phrase or word you want in cursive. You can use other phrases like “out of office”, “coast is clear”, “talk to the palm.” Get creative!
- Practice laying out the sequin strand over the drawn letters. This can be tricky, you will learn the best path to next letter by practicing.
- Once you’re ready, use the toothpick to apply glue to the back of the sequin strand. I recommend using E6000 and only covering a couple of inches at a time.
- Carefully glue down each word and trim as needed. It is normal to lose a few individual sequins after cutting.
- Allow the glue to dry. Using a needle and thread add a few stitches to secure your design.
- Measure the distance around the top of the hat and cut the thicker ribbon to the appropriate length. Also glue the ribbon using E6000.
This project took me about 45 minutes to complete and looks remarkably similar to its much pricier inspiration.
The halter bikini top shown in the last photo can be purchased here, its a steal!